Succulents have always been a speciality of mine. I very quickly fell in love with their unusual shapes, varying textures and colours.
As I have been making and selling succulent planters since my very first little stall at The Forge in Camden Town in February 2013, it seemed appropriate that my first post should celebrate succulents and all their glory. So here are 5 good reasons why succulents rule:
1. They look cool… Lets face it, succulents are the cool kids of the plant world. They may not be the most showy, or the biggest, or produce the prettiest flowers, but they do look good on your coffee table or windowsill, managing to look both low key but interesting with their strange forms, interesting colour and range of textures.
2. They are low maintenance… They will thank you if you neglect them a bit. That’s not to say you should completely abandon them, but once you have got their environment right (frost free, dry and well lit) you can get away with watering them once a fortnight in the spring and summer, and even less often in the winter. This makes them the perfect plant for those who travel a lot or are a bit forgetful with their plants. They tend to have originated from dry climates which is why they store their water in their tissues so you should let the soil dry out completely before re-watering to avoid rot. Their slow growth means that they live happily in their containers for a substantial amount of time before they need to be re-potted.
3. They’re easy to propogate If a succulent isn’t doing well, you can pull off it’s leaves and grow new plants from each leaf.
4. They’re versatile… Succulents can be used for so many different projects becasuse they are so tough. There is so much variety you would be hard pushed not to find one you didn’t like!
5. They are fire resistant… Who knew succulents resisted fire?! A couple from Santa Fe returned home to find their succulent filled garden had protected their house from a wildfire that had ravaged their neighbourhood.
That’s why I love succulents. Why do you love succulents?